By Evan Midford, Website & Social Media Coordinator
Fit Kids Healthy Kids Program Facilitator
Casual Employment – must have day-time availability, as well as some evenings and weekends.
At Sport Manitoba, we fund and plan sports programs to promote the development of vibrant citizens, athletes, and communities in Manitoba. Fit Kids Healthy Kids is a physical literacy program founded as a partnership between Doctors Manitoba and Sport Manitoba. It teaches children and their adult leaders the fundamentals of movement that make kids confident and competent in sport, recreation, and life. The goal of the program is fit, healthy kids that are active for life. The Program Facilitator will be responsible to deliver programming and will report to the Fit Kids Healthy Kids Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Aid in the outreach to agencies, programs, and events in specified, but not limited to, low income, underserved communities in Winnipeg and Manitoba to promote the Fit Kids Healthy Kids program and physical literacy as a whole.
- Assist in the planning, creating, implementing, organizing, and facilitating of Fit Kids Healthy Kids programming throughout Manitoba.
- Facilitate weekly programs with various community partners based on fundamental movement skills and the Fit Kids Healthy Kids Model.
- Act as a role model for the children involved in all aspects of the program (ages 2-12).
- Preparation of reports related to delivery, partnerships, and successes of programs.
- Aid in the development of the website.
- Work with and lead community partners, volunteers, and youth mentors.
- Build leadership capacity at the community level.
Education and Experience
- Have or working towards a bachelor’s degree in Education, Kinesiology, Recreation, Health Promotion, or a related field.
- Experience working with and delivering children’s programming for multiple ages. Ability to work with children under six is preferred.
- Experience in a gym setting developing programs and leading multi-skill games.
- Ability to carry and transport equipment for programming.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the designated region and work irregular hours when deemed necessary.
- Access to a reliable motor vehicle and a valid driver’s license is required.
- Must provide a criminal record check with vulnerable sector search that has been done within six months of application to the position.
- Being fluent in French is an asset
Technical/Job Specific Knowledge
Aware of and/or understand
- Community development principles and approaches.
- Benefits of physical activity and the understanding of the importance of physical literacy in the LTAD (long term athlete development) model.
- Working with diverse communities.
- Managing projects, programs, and special events.
Skills and Attributes
- Strong organization, planning, oral, and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Ability and energy to work with children 2-12 as a leader and role model
- Knowledge and ability to work in Microsoft 365 programs (Excel, Word, Outlook, Publisher, PowerPoint)
- A valid first aid certificate
Please submit a Microsoft Word or PDF file with your confidential cover letter and resume by email. Send to the attention of:
Sport Manitoba is an equal opportunity employer.