Sport Manitoba had more than 500 participants contribute to a rural review performed through community workshops and an online survey. This review focused on the sport programs and related services being provided to athletes, coaches and officials in rural Manitoba.
The objectives for the rural review were as follows:
• Identification of program and services being offered in each region
• Identification of “best practices” of stakeholders in relation to governance, program and service delivery and communication
• Challenges and gaps in programs and services
• Solutions to challenges and gaps
• Alignment of key stakeholders as it relates to the identified solutions
By setting such objectives Sport Manitoba sought to answer the following two questions:
• Do we need to Change our (Sport Manitoba) Programs, Services & Mandate?
• How can we make a “positive impact” on Sport Development in Rural Manitoba?
Rural sport stakeholders expressed many success stories from across Manitoba providing a good foundation to build from. We found some areas we can improve on. Based on our findings we will develop new and improved programs and services to create a better rural sport development system.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Sport Manitoba’s Community Development Manager, Kylo Harris (204-470-7448) or email