The #PlayMoreBeMore campaign is all about helping Manitobans, especially parents, learn about the dangers of specializing in one sport at a young age vs the many benefits of kids playing multiple sports.
Playing a variety of sports will help young athletes:
- Excel in their chosen sport.
E.g. a hockey player who also continues to play volleyball and soccer – soccer is excellent for conditioning, change of direction abilities, and controlling a puck in skates, while volleyball is excellent for leg power and reaction skills. Another example is how cycling and skiing can develop lower body strength for a speed skater.
- Benefit their overall athleticism.
- Avoid overuse injuries that come with repeatedly doing the same sport over and over for several years.
- Avoid burnout.
- Have fun and walk away with a positive and enjoyable experience in sport and physical activity.
Play More Be More Instagram Contest
Parents: have your kids draw a picture of themselves playing at least TWO of their favourite sports and tag @SportManitoba with #PlayMoreBeMoreContest for a chance to win:
- A $300 sport registration grant – Note: grant is paid for by Sport Manitoba on your behalf. Must be with a Provincial Sport Organization (PSO) in Manitoba.
- Lucy Tries Sports books
- A Team Manitoba youth hoodie
Contest ends April 30, 2021. Winner will be chosen randomly.
We’ve collected a multitude of resources below that will help you learn more about the benefits behind the multi-sport message.
Questions about Play More Be More? Get in touch with us at email@example.com